So October 3rd is the release date for Bill Maher's movie, "Religulous" (he wanted it to be released on Easter), in which he examines and pokes fun at the world's religions. I was curious as to what everyone here thinks in regards to the positive/negative attention the movie will bring, your own excitement/lack thereof toward the movie, speculation about controversy and box office numbers...

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic. On the one hand, I'm glad that a movie is being made that tackles these issues, but on the other hand, I'm not expecting the media to be kind to this flick.

Oh, and here's a clip.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/22/bill-maher-takes-on-relig_...

Thoughts?

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad he has done the movie and is doing the TV circuit right now promoting it. A lot of good will happen thanks to the movie. But Bill is pissing me off a bit:
http://baconeatingatheistjew.blogspot.com/2008/10/bill-maher-is-pis...
My wife and I went to see it Friday night with a large group of people from the local atheist Meet Up group. After eating dinner, the March of the Heathens made its way a few blocks through downtown Seattle to the cineplex. My questions about the turn out for the film were soon answered. They sold so many tickets that it had to be moved to a larger theater.

Everyone seemed to really enjoy the movie. It was for the most part what everyone expected, but there were enough off the wall twists and things so ridiculous that it even exceeded our expectations on some counts. My only complaint was that I missed a good portion of the movie because of the laughter of the audience. The jokes definitely deliver, or I should say that some of the believers he interviews deliver because you just couldn't make up anything better than what some people will admit to with a straight face. There are serious points made as well, several of which were greeted with an enthusiastic and impeccably timed "Amen!" from various people in the theater. The credits were met with thunderous applause. I cannot remember the last time I applauded in a movie theater. I rarely see something worthy of such a reaction, and quite honestly feel like a douche offering applause to a screen. In this case though, I just couldn't help myself. I could have watched another hour or two of this easily. I'm hoping for lots of bonus footage when the DVD comes out.

The next night I was driving through the University District and I noticed that The Neptune Theater, an old single screen theater with a huge lighted marquee and the little glass cubicle box office out by the sidewalk, was also showing Religulous. The line was wrapped around the corner and down the block for the next showing. I'm sure there were more than a few closeted atheists that went to see this movie. Maybe if enough do, it will be shown on more than just 500 screens.
Is it being shown in Europe? I want to see it, but I can't find a UK release date. Anybody know?
I just read this 'review' of Religulous from an outraged Christian:

The movie "is full of lies, half-truths, false assumptions, logical contradictions and fallacies, distortions, intolerance, prejudice, bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and hypocrisy," said Ted Baehr from the Christian Worldview Network. Religulous "is a pathetic propaganda piece that will warp the hearts and minds of the gullible and the ignorant."

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Let's try that rant with a couple of small substitutions:

The Bible "is full of lies, half-truths, false assumptions, logical contradictions and fallacies, distortions, intolerance, prejudice, bigotry, arrogance, ignorance, and hypocrisy," say atheists. The Bible "is a pathetic propaganda piece that will warp the hearts and minds of the gullible and the ignorant."

Guess there's two sides to every argument, eh? ;-)
Excellent observation ;)
Personally I wish someone more like Hitchens had done this film. I'm not too fond of Maher's style and find him a shrilly windbag for the most part, not to mention his off-center views on things like modern medicine. Ah well, but that's me. Regardless, I hope people find this film, at least, like a gush of water to the face to snap them out of their religious funk, or at least help them think a wee bit more about the facts.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service