now that we've gotten that settled

I was curious if anyone was

either through natural means

or artificial

im a bit of both

and was interested in other peoples takes/hypothesis's

i have a very scientific and rational means of looking at it

some people get all "spiritual" with it, but i think it is quite the opposite

however my recent psychonautic adventures have taken me away from the realm of atheism and into the realm of free thinking

as i used to be what you could call, an atheist zealot

now...i would call myself

"an atheistic agnostic"

or how dawkins described his atheism i guess, to an extent at least

and if your interested in my take on the subject well..hahaha i've got some interesting ideas swirling around

but i think this little quote best describes what i have learned through my psychonautic trips

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" - aristotle

i don't necessarily believe everything i think about

Tags: atheism, atheist, free, psychonaut, psychonautics, thinking, zealot

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read the article on psychonauts in Wikipedia. I found it interesting for several reasons. The first was the emphasis on DO NOT DO DRUGS. That told me a good deal about how the author of the article sees the practice of mind-diving as it appears to the larger society today. Another point of interest was the statement that mind-divers tend to be libertarian. It would be interesting to know where he/she got that impression. None of the people I know who are long-term divers would be classified as libertarian. Paying attention to human behavior in general, especially the behavior of those who take little interest the their own minds - non-attentive humans are not things I would want running around de-regulated.

There is a feeling of a-historicism in the article. It's as if the idea of mind-diving is something new, something just beginning. This seems to point to an author brought up in a social climate where the belief in individuality has far outrun the concept of human-being-as-social-animal. And it appears to affect the psychonautic results. Nevertheless, I am glad to see a little window of approach to mind-diving that is both free of religious jargon and written from the average users perspective.

I hope the trend continues. Maybe in the end we'll end up with a Dummies Guide to Mind-Diving that actually contributes something other than another source of solipsistic entertainment.
You also forget that Wikipedia authors are not perfect, and the articles must be rewritten many times before they meet a neutral standard.
This is true LeaT. Perhaps such mild criticism will motivate the author (if he or she ever hears of it) to edit. I do think the article topic is worth the time and effort.
Well, I am not well-read on the actual topic so I can't say anything about that, but I am sure there are people out there who are willing to make the site meets the standards of how a good article should be like :)
I did a fair amount of psychedelic experimentation (acid, mescaline) when in college back in the mid-70s, specifically for self-therapeutic reasons. I had some profound emotional experiences which I do not regret at all--one in particular I would truly call life-changing. I did very small amounts, as I was afraid of going crazy, so I never had some of the extreme hallucinatory experiences I've heard about or read about. Since then, I've done 'shrooms a couple of times, also in small amounts, as I respect the power of these chemicals. Never did any of the more modern stuff like Ecstasy and never sought out the more exotic stuff like Ayahuasca. I still find all of this fascinating.
I'd be lying if I said it was for purely scientific reasons, but I have a good deal of hippie friends who are very spiritual, and said that psychedelics helped them develop a deeper understanding of their spirituality, so I wanted to see if it would have a similar effect on me. It didn't, but helped me understand how someone could believe they were having a spiritual experience. It is true that psychedelics can have positive life changing attributes, and I can attest to that, but if you really think you're experiencing something supernatural, you need to step back and say, "Oh yeah, I'm on drugs."
...if you really think you're experiencing something supernatural, you need to step back and say, "Oh yeah....

Wow do I think this is important. It is a rational response. The reason I cut off "I'm on drugs" from Chip's reply is because I think we could replace it with a host of other phrases. For example "Oh yeah, I'm imposing my own narrative." Or "Oh yeah, I'm interpreting this experience based on my childhood socialization."

Nicely done, Chip.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service