21% of American Atheists Believe in God or Spirit!

This post was not placed by Brother Richard. It was written by the original administrator, Thor.

*This discussion is adapted from the Orlando Atheists & Freethinkers on Meetup.com.

According to a new Pew survey, 21% of American atheists believe in God or a universal spirit, 12% believe in heaven and 10% pray at least once a week. What do you make of this?

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

Sam Harris wrote this article.

Please Take Sam Harris Survey Here!

Views: 65

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you cherrypick parts like believing a kind god and a heaven when you die so you get a nice afterlife but you refuse to believe in sin and hell because it's not fun. Why being tormented over such things which aren't necessary?
A lot of people in Sweden are like that. They believe in angels or other spiritual forms and they like to go to heaven when they die and they like to think there is a god watching over them but few would acknowledge that there is a hell and that humans are born with sin and we are inherently sinful and are bad people.

That's what I mean with cherrypicking. Still a lot of these people would call themselves Christians although they obviously just believe in a few parts of Christianity when maybe theism or deism would be better defitions.
Well, I consider myself a god among men... and I believe in myself, so.... :D
SO DO I! lol Ummmmmm so are we suppose to get people to kill each other for us know or later? lol
So you are Laveyan Satanists? :))
Sam Harris has a blog post with accompanying counter-poll that knocks this idiocy to pieces: http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/sam_harris/2008/07/the_b...
My understanding of this survey result is that those who answered this question use the term atheism to mean "I believe in a god, but don't go to church." It's a description that fits many non-church-going theists that I know.

I could be wrong, but that's the only logical argument I've heard so far.
Wow, thats kinda retarded and makes no sense. I advise you to read the article and post a comment at the end. It asks you if you believe in the god of the bible and if you believe if the bible is the word of god with a 1 thru 5 scale of belief.
They should not be considered atheists, nor should they call themselves atheists. Was this research done by some affiliated-with-some-church-agency?
Dammit. Did you godless people claim FSM as your god? Don't you know these poll-takers don't understand sarcasm?
Since we are speaking English let's look at the dictionary definition of Atheist.
"A person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings" and Theism
"1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism).
2. belief in the existence of a god or gods (opposed to atheism)."

Atheist is the antonym of theist, therefore they are mutually exclusive terms and can not coexist. I have found for the most part the majority of people are stupid and do not understand the English language it is like sexual and asexual, can't be both sexual and asexual.

The prefix "a" from virtualsalt.com
Prefix
a, an
Meaning
not, without
Examples
atheist, anarchy, anonymous apathy, aphasia, anemia

Therefore Atheist is Theist with the "not" prefix. So you can not be an Atheist with a belief in God, it is a contradiction in terms.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service