Welcome to new members. Please introduce yourself here. How did you become interested in photography? What sort of equipment do you use? What's your favorite subject? Feel free to relax here and post your photos. My only rule so far is that there will be a separate place to post photos of children and pets because, frankly, they tend to overwhelm. Photographers of all skill levels are welcome and constructive criticism should be part of the game. We should all strive to improve. If you do not care for feedback please add a *No feedback* disclaimer to your photo.

Thank you and have fun!

Tags: introductions

Views: 105

Replies to This Discussion

My love of photography started before I was in my teens. I couldn't afford a camera so I had to watch from the sidelines for a few years. I had a rich uncle who gave me $25 for my birthday when I turned 14. I used the money to buy myself a Brownie Starflash camera.
The summer camp I went to every year had a darkroom which was available to anyone who knew how to use it. I took a quick course from one of the camp counsellors and I was on my way. I was taking shots of the lake and the moon as well as the other boys at camp and printing them myself.

After I was out of school and working I bought myself a Canon TL and a trio of lenses. The camera went with me everywhere and I shot anything that moved or didn't move. Over a period of 45 years I went through many cameras including a Bolex movie camera and a very large view camera. About 5 years ago I went digital and I'm never going back to film. I have a Nikon D100 and I'm dreaming of a D700 when I win the lottery.

I spent many years working with film in the printing industry and worked with digital images when scanners became common. I used to work in Photoshop and get paid for it. It was like being paid to to play computer games. I use it at home now on all my images.

I seem to change subjects every couple of years. I used to photograph only musicians and I have a collection of Blues artists like Big Mama Thornton, BB King and many others not so well known. For a while I shot only horses, then bugs and flowers for a while and for a year I worked only with female models. Recently most of my pictures have been of people in the Philippines and India along with the local flora and fauna of British Columbia when I'm not travelling.

I have the priviledge of working for Kodak now so I'm surrounded by interesting images and other photographers at work. I love looking at the work of other photographers and I am always inspired by a new idea or fresh way of seeing a subject.
Being the new person, I figured I'd take a moment and say howdy. I've always had a camera around since I was a kid but it's only been in the past few years that I have really taken the hobby seriously, especially since they went digital. I admit it, I'm cheap. Though the SLR's do fantastic work, I tend to be intimidated by them and work with a point-and-shoot, a Canon PowerShot S5 IS. It does what I need it to do and works for me.

I really became interested in photography due to my love for architecture. My favorite subjects are the old textile mills, the big brick bruisers. The web page I've been working on has a page that's devoted to the mills I've visited. For that matter, I'm going to be re-vamping the page in the future to be dedicated more to my photography just to show it off. I'm still learning the craft and enjoy reading and looking at others works.
I'm an avid concert photographer. Check out some of my picture on my profile page.
I use a Canon 5D, most pictures were made with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. Always wide open, lowest ISO I can get by with, which is usually still 1600. I'm usually stading to the left of the stage. I've never had a good picture with the microphone blocking the face. This angle usually exposes the guitar nicely if the person is right handed.

I have a twin brother who is a professional photographer. His latest toy is a GigaPan. It is hardware and software that allows you to stich together hundreds of pictures to make a Gigpixel size image. Quite amazing.
How do you find focusing in low light with the 5D? I sometimes find it very difficult to get a lock with it just searching. 70-200mm f2.8, also my favourite lens for gig photography'

My gig efforts are up here,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sinister-pictures/collections/72157601...
Hi, all. I'm a total amateur and shoot for fun. I had a Canon Rebel and shot mostly B&W (TMAX) developed in my bathroom-converted-to-darkroom every chance I got. I thought that kind of turnaround (an hour or so by the time the negatives were dry enough to cut) was amazing feedback and helped me to learn. Over time I turned off more and more of the camera's auto features until I detested them, built up some basic equipment (tripod, flash, etc) and started buying decent glass (50mm f1.4 to start). I drifted away from photography due to work pressures, then moved a year ago and no longer have the dark room.

Six months ago I went digital with a Canon XTi body. I LOVE IT!!! Still struggling with the 1.6x adjustment to focal lengths, but hope to "fix" that by getting a 28mm Canon or 30mm Sigma primary lens soon.

I feel like I'm starting over. I had taught myself to tell stories within a single frame (by far the hardest thing I've tried to do with photography) and now I'm back to trying to get things in focus and exposed correctly. I don't like the idea of over-photoshopping my work, but I miss the control and creativity of the dark room. So a new computer will need to be in my future at some point... this old laptop isn't good for much more than writing comments on forums.

Great to be here! Nice to meet you all. Shoot on.

Crazy
Hello all,

I'm from West London and have always enjoyed taking photographs. I'm not so good with words, so perhaps that's why I prefer images.

If you fancy dekko at my efforts they can be found here,

http://www.sinisterpictures.co.uk
I started taking pix since I was about 10 or 11 years old, first with a Kodak Brownie camera with built in flash, then a bellows camera which came from who-knows where and an early Polaroid bellows camera I got not long after that. Most of the results of those devices and days were NOT notable, trust me!

I inherited my first "real" camera from my father. It was a German make I think, a 35 mm rangefinder and it was pretty nice. For some odd reason, I got into the habit of shooting slide film, mostly Ektachrome, and though most of the shots I took were about as original or artful as a hole in the head, a couple were pretty decent. As with a lot of other things I've done, I watched how other people framed and composed shots and learned from them, and I would like to think that the quality of my photography has improved.

About 10 years ago, I got my first digital camera, a two-megapixel Olympus C-700. Not a GREAT camera, but I'm convinced those Olympus optics allowed this camera to make some good-looking shots for the low resolution. This past Christmas, my gal surprised me with a really nice camera, an Olympus E-510, with 14-42 mm and 40-150 mm lenses. I'm still in the process of getting used to the increased complexity, but I'm still getting some nice pix from it.

The best of the best has managed to find its way to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/troublemaker125/

and I invite you to have a look and comment there and here on my profile if you like. I am proud to mention that my pix have been selected twice for use, one in an Internet article, another on a map website known as Schmap! Not too shabby for a self-taught amateur!
I love the ones of the whitehouse. I didn't even know you could go up the monument. Is the blue tint smog?
I think the "tint" is just the aged windows - tends to obscure what you're shooting at.

And yes, the Washington Monument is quite accessible ... and thanks for your compliments!
I can remove a fair proportion of that tint if you'd like me to? No bother honest!
I suppose I could take a shot at that myself with Irfanview (I don't have Photoshop [couldn't afford it!!!]), but I don't think that would do much for the sharpness of the pic.

Thanks, though!
I am a fence sitter - I love my 35mm cameras - but - I also love the instant gratification I get from my digital camera - plus - I can do mini-videos at the turn of a dial. (It also travels on my motorcycle easily.)
I enjoy photographing "geometries" in nature (an some manmade geometries as well...) I would classify myself as a "striving" photographer and love to experiment and try various techniques to see if I can emulate them and if I feel comfortable with them.
To further my striving I carry my camera everywhere and on those occasions where I forget I have actually taken some pretty neat shots with my cell phone - Believe It Or Don't.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service