Since I was quite apalled by the AN staff to enforce profanity on groups and such, I would just like to arise the question why swearing is bad at all, and why particularly children must be protected.

Is it because they can hear "nasty" words connected to the human organs? I tell you, by the time a child is 13 they know most common swearing words. They didn't get it from TV or internet. They got it from their parents and friends. And what is the bad thing knowing the offensive version of male genitalia?

In themselves, swearing words are harmless. Swearing words are in fact, good words as such when we want to show that we are angry or put extra weight and importance to what we say. Sure, some of them are offensive, but that is only because we make them so. Eupheisms are made all the time. Look at the word toilet for example. At first it was water closet, then lavatory, now it's toilet.

Personally, language is language. You can do as much harm using no swearing words than if you do (sarcasm anyone?). I remember that when I was 4 or 5, I already knew words such as dick and cock. I also knew the meaning of it, in the harmless ways children know things at such ages. Instead of personally trying to hide such words for your children, you should probably discuss them as soon you find out they know them. As I said, words themselves are completely harmless. They are just abstract things in our heads. The more we try to hide and avoid certain words, the worse connotations they will get.

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never understood the taboo on swear words. It's rather ridiculous - it's just words, and what really matters is the context in which the words are used, not the words themselves.
I swear pretty heavily, though I do try to cut it down around people that don't like it, however my mom and step-dad are fairly anti-cussing (though, sadly enough, my step-dad is the main person that taught me how to cuss). I remember when I was younger, I was always allowed to say words such as "crap" or "dang" but never "shit" or "damn." I don't understand what the big deal is, however, because no matter what I say, the way I'm using them is the same. If I hurt myself, and yell "holy shit," it's exactly the same (in my eyes) as saying "holy crap."

Whatever though, people can be extremely dumb.
But I think you would agree that the examples you gave were pretty light to for fucks sake or some such in a similar situation.
I have explained my position on this to my daughter (When she was about 11) and it has worked pretty well. Simply put. Somewhere long ago someone decided that there was a list of words that are not uttered in polite society. But you may use their synonyms freely, even though they are both just sounds formed in the exact same manner. Then I told her that whoever the person was who made the decision of what was right and wrong to say was probably a prick I wouldn't have liked anyways. My darling little girl looked up at me and said "Yep, sounds like bullshit to me." I'm so proud.

Basically its just utilizing a vocabulary, which is never something to hide from. I just can't fathom how someone can find a difference between "Fuck" and "Fornicate", except that fornicate takes longer to say. What confuses me the most is when children can use the word, but must spell it in the middle of a sentence. such as "I don't buy into that s-h-i-t." The same meaning comes across, the word is even there, you just added emphasis to it is all. But then again, what the hell do I know?
It seems that enforcement of swearing is a way to go after dissidents of religion and politics. Note that it is no mistake that the people who frown on swearing the most are usually very religious people and conservatives.
Partly yes, it's also related to which social class you belong. The lower class, the more swearing you are probably going to use, and the worse "words".

I would think the reason why we also shun swearing so much today is because of the Victorian era. Tell which wasn't forbidden during that time! Man, I tell you, I am 100% sure those old farmers could swear our ears off, quite literary :) I have to say there is something romantic (in a linguistical sense) thinking of an old farmer swearing with either a deep british accent or an irish one. Or maybe a scottish one. It just would sound so good!
Nice to hear you enjoyed reading it! I think many people brought up interesting points, and I have admit defeat since this site is hosted in USA, and it has been pointed out filters don't accept swearings among other things. There is nothing I myself can do about that, more than wanting to move the site to Sweden :)

As for swearing words in general, may it be just me, but I do feel people exeggerate the strong meaning of fuck. I mean, everytime a swearing pops up, anywhere, it's censored in American media, with exceptions like oh god, oh my god, holy god and all its variations. Anyway, as an outsider, I think fuck has a nice semi strong meaning attached to it. Not incredibly rude or offensive, but not weak either. Just that nicely rounded in the middle. This might stem from a different view of English though, being a non-native English speaker.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service