I'm sure most of you have noticed the degradation of quality science education available for kids in public schools. Recently in the news it was found that a "science" teacher was burning the image of a cross onto the arms of his students. This link will send you to the news link about the crazy fundie teacher. Also, Ben Stein recently came out with his own creationist propaganda documentary called "expelled: no intelligence allowed." I'm concerned that by the time I have children who are in school they'll be forced to listen to the nonsensical gibberish that is 'intelligent design'. We have to remember that those who have accepted evolution as a fact are among the minority in America, only about a quarter of the population agree with the theory of evolution. Which is scary....very scary.

Where does this leave the secular community? I'm sure none of you want this idiotic idea being taught to your kids, but if the creationists keep sneaking in their faux-science teachers into the classrooms, we're in trouble.

Tags: classroom, creation, evolution, intelligent design,, public schools,, science

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has always been scary. Creationists have just been enjoying an era when they could be more open about it. But they have had losses along the way -- thinking of the Dover case.

But, for unrelated reasons, we chose to homeschool. We are unschoolers, actually.

The unrelated reasons were related in philosophy, perhaps. It takes longer than the child is in a particular school for a major change to happen, if it ever does, so, instead of waiting for the changes our son needed, we stayed home.

And ended up loving it! :)

Many homeschoolers, btw, are secular and raising children with an appreciation of science.

Nance
Yep, homeschooling is a good secular option - it works well for us!

We aren't quite unschoolers, though.
The one concern I have about homeschooling (This will be years in the future as I am 21 now) is the social aspect. How have you addressed that?
this seems ideal.

recognize the religious agenda of any creationism/ID teaching as fully separate from science.

teach religion in a comparative, historical, and non prejudicial way and christianity suddenly seems as much like the other mythologies that it really is. that context might be very informative for the more casual churchgoer.

ps: i've had encounters with the christian home educators group, and that is the worst of education and the worst of religion all rolled up into one. some scary shit there.
I understand anyone who wants to remove their kids from the public school arena to give them a better science education and avoid the creationists, but it's difficult to change the system for the better if we disengage.

For my money, atheists and freethinkers need to pop up at school board meetings as the voice of the opposition. It's easier to do that if you can say, "I want the best science education for my daughter". Home schooling or private school is not an option for a lot of people, and we need to make sure that science education in the public sphere is maintained. It benefits everyone, even those pesky creationists, if we crank out well-educated kids.

Well, maybe the creationist *movement* would not benefit...but it would sure help them as individuals if we keep making medical and scientific progress.
I have done some research on other schooling options of children.... as far as private schools go I've found mostly Christian based schools in my area. However, I have found Montessori schools in my area that would be a great alternative to public schools. But these are few, and far in between; not to mention how difficult it is to get in to these schools....it is good that they are out there though. I really wish there were more secular private schools available though. I haven't seen any in North Carolina.
I'm NEVER raising a kid in America.
Good for you, me neither. I thought I wanted to move to Australia, but lately their PM is acting a lot like Bush. What's left? Christian nutbags at home, Muslim nutbags all across Europe.
I am a former Biology teacher. I quit teaching about 10 years ago for many reasons, one of which was fatigue. I was just plain tired of trying to come up with ways of designing a course where evolution was the core (as it should be) without causing constant aggravation. Often, if I even mentioned the word "evolution" an unimaginable furor erupted, not just among parents, but also among the students, who were mostly just parroting their parents teachings. Several times students were withdrawn from school during their Sophomore year just to avoid being exposed to evolutionary theory. I can't even imagine what might have happened if I had mentioned that I was an atheist. In spite of my great love for Biology and all the sciences, I guess I just got tired. The sad part is I have never regretted my decision to quit for a minute.
Where didy ou teach exactly? Judging by your name my guess would be he US.
I taught in Wisconsin.
At least I have never experienced such a thing in Sweden yet, although I guess some Muslims might revolt now.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service