Consider donating your body to science? Yes? No? Why/why not?

A lot of the irreligious here seem to be quite invested in science, and it makes me curious...

Tags: death, science

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm an organ donor first and whatever is left goes to science. (Currently a regular blood donor and on the bone marrow registry and all for sharing whatever can be used after I'm done with it!) Man and if I had a friend who would appreciate an Andrea ash tray and none of the above wanted something that would lend itself to it I'd be all for that too! Ha! After that, worst case burn what's left.

I hate the idea of my loved ones being taken advantage of because they're grieving. I really like the idea of planting a tree instead of a tombstone or some other. So much less morbid. I've talked it through with my family so that I know that they're comfortable with these decisions and are completely clear on my wishes.
I would do it. My father did. He died two years ago and donated his body to be used as a medical cadaver. They said that after they used his body they would then cremate what was left and call his family and we could have another ceremony. I haven't heard from them yet. I'm an organ donor and would rather have my body used for that, if possible. If I haven't worn them out using them for years and years.
Sure. Why wouldn't I do that? Instead of letting your precious organs rot away, why not do something useful with them? I wouldn't be an organ donor, though, I would specifically request that my organs be put through scientific tests. The way I see it, it's best to try and find a cure for various afflictions so we can apply it to others, instead of just saving one life.

Also, I'm definitely getting cremated. Graves are a waste of perfectly good land. What would be really interesting would be to do one of those cremations where they launch part of your ashes into space. They're really pricey though, and being launched into space is more fun when you're actually alive to experience it. :)
Registered since high school. The way I figure it - Unless someone else has a much better use for this toothpick once I'm done with it then who better to give it to? I'm sure I'd make pretty good fertilizer, but all the same...
I would donate my body to science, but it seems science does not want it.
Well at least the medical faculty of the local university does not seem to lack donated bodies.
So I'll be donating all organs that can still be of some use to someone still living. Then burn and dump the rest (because that'll cost my relatives the least).
Since there are way too few organ donors here in Germany I've been wondering if it would be an incentive to donate if the family would receive some money for the funeral in return.

Why - because I won't need my body any more when I'm dead.

I think organ donation would be a good idea, but not every part of me. Only the best for the living!

I don't count myself amongst the "irreligious", its too broad a brush as there are religions congruent with an atheist position. In addition to a non belief in deities explicit in atheism, I'm also a monist in regards to the mind/body question.

So; here's my take from that perspective:

• Organs - I have a pre-existing condition that makes organ donation unlikely.
  • Donation to science - Everything (with one exception), science/education has a use for.
  • Brain - As a purely symbolic gesture, and if at all possible; I'd like to have my brain cremated, the ashes mixed with polyethylene and made into Frisbees[1] that would be distributed to friends and family after my demise.

[1] - A Frisbee is a real-world demonstration of; the Bemoulli Principle, Newton's Third Law, orientational stability via angular momentum and aerodynamics, so …Science!

Already signed up as an organ donor.  I've considered donating my body to science, but got very skeptical once I was told what the process entails, at least in the area I'm in.  Once the medical school or lab is done with the body, they give the remains back to family and tell the survivors it's on your dime to get rid of the remains. The strikes me as rather cheap and miserly. They get the benefit of using my remains for teaching and/or research, and then front the final bill off on the survivors of the donor. It's a donation! If you don't want the costs associated with the gift, don't take the gift in the first place. Now, I could care less if my remains are cremated, dumped in a landfill for the vermin to eat, or are the yummies in the aquarium's shark tank at feeding time.  I'm dead, and it's no longer my problem. But the underlying "bait and switch" routine of those institutions I've checked out have gotten them unceremoniously scratched out of my will. 

I wonder if you can 'will your body' to any institution any where in the US?. There are also the 'body farms' where your remains can be put for further research.

'Body willing' seems to be gaining popularity simply because of funeral costs: http://www.kens5.com/news/Funeral-or-donate-body-to-science-UTHSC-s...

Thanks for the info Sandi. I may consider UT at Austin. And, it's my son's alma mater.

Yes, no qualms whatsoever.

They are welcome to it if they can use 63 year old body parts..

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service