(Let me apologize for what's going to be a very long post. The words just keep coming)

I was born and have lived my entire life just outside of Cincinnati, OH. When I was very young, my father took me to church for the first time: the New Harmony Baptist Church in Milford, OH. I didn't really question the God thing for a while, I still believed in Santa, so why not God? At or around age 6, I was baptized into the church. Less than 2 years later, my parents divorced, so when my father stopped being a regular part of my life, so did his church. I would attend services with him or with a friend from time to time growing up, but I didn't go religiously.

I started losing my faith in my early teen years, when I first heard all the hate-speech coming from people representing Christianity on the TV and radio. I thought at first that they must surely be wrong, that a loving God couldn't be a bigot. But, in a percocet-aided epiphany following my knee surgery at 16, I started thinking of religion as a mind-control tool, and the associated hatred as a manifestation of the need for a common enemy to keep the followers in line. A few months later, I called myself an atheist for the first time.

The story doesn't end there. Even after I started calling myself an atheist, I still felt a pang for faith, and I desperately wanted to believe in something. I studied the religions, desperate to find something that I could believe in, but I didn't find anything. When I was 20, I had a moment of insanity, when I actually got "saved" again at a function for the pyramid scheme I let myself get talked into. But when I gave up on the pyramid scheme, I also gave up my new-found faith.

I started calling myself "spiritual" after that, believing that there was an all-powerful being in control of everything, but not believing that it could be defined. I spent a couple of years with that mindset, until I was introduced to Christopher Hitchens through Real Time With Bill Maher. While I didn't like his politics, I was very interested in what he said about religion and his lack thereof, so I picked up "The Portable Atheist" and got to know more about the scientific perspective on the origins of the universe and of life. It was then that I discovered what that that atheism is right for me. Not because it's the true explanation of everything, but because it is the most likely.

If you made it through all that, here's a few tidbits of information about me.
I love to read and write. My life's goal is to write a published novel.
I love cartoons, especially Pixar films and 90's Nickelodeon shows.
Diddy Kong is my favorite video game character.
I believe that if someone can't laugh at themselves, then they have no right to laugh at someone else.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service