I've always enjoyed asimov

Tags: Books, Fiction, Science

Views: 150

Replies to This Discussion

I've read all kinds, Ray Bradbary, Frank Hurbert, Roger Zelazny, Philip Pullman, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind. I guess I mix sci fi and fantasy, in together. Then I'll read a classic, or Romance or a science book on DNA and evoulation. I good spy/conspirany story is fun at times.
It's all good!
I can't understand why so many people here seem to love Pullman. Personally I hate his pseudo-atheism. Lord Asriel is, essentially, a messianic character, just as his daughter, the 'New Eve'. Stories where protagonists are supposed to 'fulfill prophecies' and 'save the world' or 'give humankind a new start' always turn me off.

If I'm not mistaken, noone here mentioned Stanislaw Lem. To me he was the most consistently intelligent SF writer ever, by a few miles.
Maybe because it was written for teens rather than adults, he has, imo, made some of the characters "larger than life".

I found some of the mechanics of the book, from a physics point of view, a tad odd, and I think it may be best to read it with your critical thinking idling instead of at full throttle :)
(resurrects year old thread)

Man, so many authors already mentioned here that I have read and liked - Pratchett, Gaiman, Bradbury, Harrison (yup, I too have a week spot the the stainless steel rat), Pullman Niven - especially the Ringworld novels, and Moorcock, though he is more sci-fantasy.
Well, Asimov is a legend. Some of his short stories are fixed on my "epic"-list.
But I've also gotten quite hooked on Peter Hamilton's books. I started with Pandora's box, Judas unchained and went on to the void soon-to-be trilogy. I even went back to the Nights Dawn trilogy, but didn't find it as good as his later books. Pandora's star is a great starter if you're new to Hamilton, I think.
Right now I'm reading "Use of Weapons" by Ian M. Banks.
Not even a contest:

Robert Anson Heinlein

I started off about 50 years ago when my mom brought home a copy of Starship Troopers from the library for me. No way I was able to fully absorb what he had to say with it back then. Some years later, I had to read Moon Is A Harsh Mistress for an assignment in college, and I suspect from there the hook was sunk.

Since that time I've read almost everything Heinlein wrote and collected a healthy amount of it in hardback, the rest in paperback ... and I still say that Job: A Comedy of Justice should have been his FIFTH Hugo!!!

Certainly, kudos go to Asimov, Silverberg and a few others, but RAH is Number One with a BULLET!
I was a late comer to "reading" the sci-fi genre although I always rated it as my first love on film. But when it finally happened it was Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" that got my attention! So I give big love to RAH.
But my favorite is Kim Stanley Robinson! The Mars Trilogy is almost a religious experience for me. (close as Ill ever get) Iv read the first book three times all the way through and bits and pieces of all three over and over. All NASA should read it, and the President.
I've always liked the classics, especially Alfred Bester's THE STARS MY DESTINATION and THE DEMOLISHED MAN, Wylie & Balmer's WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE and AFTER WORLDS COLLIDE, Brain Adliss's CRYPTOZOIC!, Philip Jose Farmer's FLESH, the 1960/70s works of Robert Silverberg (THORNS, THOSE WHO WATCH, THE MAN IN THE MAZE, SON OF MAN, HAWKSBILL STATION, DOWNWARD TO THE EARTH, NIGHTWINGS, THE WORLD INSIDE, A TIME OF CHANGES, etc), and, of course, Kurt Vonnegut's SIRENS OF TITAN and SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE and practically anything by Ray Bradbury.
My favorite science fiction author is Robert Heinein.
I can't pick just one author. Many authors already mentioned are favorites of mine, such as Heinlein, Asimov, Niven, McCaffrey and others. I didn't see Greg Bear mentioned. I thought "Eon" was fascinating.

I'm surprised no one has listed Sherri Tepper. She is definitely high on my list.

This thread is great, now I know some new authors and books to try.

Wow I am so glad I found this topic. Thanx for all the good recommendations here. I fell in love with sci fi in my teens reading Clark, Asimov etc. Then came Greg Bear, although lately I just can't get into his work as much as I used to. just way above my head. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchette ( who I think of as more fantasy) are also right up there.

I must be the only person in the world not to have read 1984, although I've always hear about it ( might be a cultural thing) it was probably banned in South Africa while I grew up

Looking forward to reading a lot of your recommendations though.

Robert Anson Heinlein. Stranger in a Strange Land was great, as was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Beyond This Horizon

"I also think there are prices too high to pay to save the United States. Conscription is one of them. Conscription is slavery, and I don't think that any people or nation has a right to save itself at the price of slavery for anyone, no matter what name it is called. We have had the draft for twenty years now; I think this is shameful. 
If a country can't save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say : Let the damned thing go down the drain!"

Ahem. Fuck Roosevelt! :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
15 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
27 minutes ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
31 minutes ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
49 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
49 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
56 minutes ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
57 minutes ago
Luara replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Scott DeLong updated their profile
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat liked Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
2 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service