I've always enjoyed asimov

Tags: Books, Fiction, Science

Views: 154

Replies to This Discussion

Or your taste has simply changed, it happens :)
has anybody else read a little book called Flatland: A Romance in Many Dimensions? I can't remember who the author was but it certainly was a quirky little book.
Never heard of it, but sounds interesting enough to take a look
The whole book is online here :

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/~banchoff/Flatland/

It's a novella written in 1884 Edwin A. Abbott. 1838-1926
wow, thanks for finding that. :)
Phillip Pullman by far is my favorite. im currently re-reading "His Dark Materials" which is a compilation of The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. These books have profoundly changed my veiws on everything such as atheism and even life. I HIGHLY reccomend these books to people of our "faith".
Interesting, I'll check those out...
and for the love of god, don't call this a "faith" lol ;)

btw, by "god" I mean the Flying Spaghetti monster.
Haha. I wish i could have found a better word than "our faith". How bout "Like minded people"?

isnt it interesting that even as atheists we still use terms like "Jesus!" when were surprised, or "for the love of 'god' " when we need to make a point of how we feel?
When you hit your thumb with an 8 pound hammer, its nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a very strong, special minded atheist to jump up and down, With their their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout "Oh random fluctuations in the space time continuum "
- Men at arms, Terry Pratchett
Well, I always go for the non-theological expletives... :P
In the case of the hammer, I would use "FUCK!" in english, "CHINGADAMADRE!" in spanish. On that note, is there some sort of rule on language use here?
Ya kno, ive always thought of FUCK as one of my favorite words. It can describe almost any emotion! i like the idea of "non-theological" explitives. I think that "Oh random fluctuations in the space time continuum" will be my new explitive :-P
I make a conscious effort to avoid all superstition-related phrases. It takes a lot of practice and an ironclad control over what comes out of your mouth, but you can reform it if you try.

Heck, I even say "gesundheit" when people sneeze, and not the other. I don't use swearwords that are even vaguely related to Xian mythology, although sometimes I'll switch out "god" with Athena or Zeus (if I feel like someone deserves a thunderbolt thrown at their head).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service