Gospel-The National

"and I'll...I'll bring a nice icy drink to you."

I love this band...saw them open for REM at the Mann. I like the lyric from Ada...

"hold onto yourself by the sleeves
I think everything counts a little more than we think."

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a great listen: nothing too cerebral or precious, just a bunch of jazz and blues standards. I'm not a Willie Nelson fan, but I have nearly everything Wynton ever recorded...he and his band are the most laid-back I've ever heard them. Wynton & Willie sound like they had fun playing together, and the CD is fun to listen to.

(I try to avoid plugging mega-stores, but I recommend purchasing this CD at Borders: their version of the CD contains two bonus tracks, “Don’t Get Around Much Anymore” and “Sweet Georgia Brown.”)
Blue - Joni Mitchell
Anything from Hum, Pinback, or 311
Gustav Bertha's album TRUE NORTH. He's a Scottish expatriate musician (real name Gordon Bell) and podcaster living in Zurich, Switzerland. Hosts a great podcast called "Way Past Bedtime with Gustav Bertha."

His work's hard to categorize ... he's done more rock 'n' roll stuff in the past, some truly avant-garde weird noise stuff, but this album's sorta cabaret in the same way Tom Waits' music sometimes is. His voice is much easier to take than Waits', though.

Oh, and he's one of us: Over at Facebook, he lists his religion as "There is no god."

(In the interests of full disclosure: I host a podcast, too, The Mental Nomad Podcast, and Gustav's one of the three or four artists who are as close to "regulars" as it gets. But I'd love his music even if he hadn't been a source of advice and encouragement and someone I've come to consider a genuine, if only online, friend.)

Beyond that, the new Neil Diamond album, a rising rock-pop singer named Jayme Dawicki, and a pair of jazz-singing sisters named Rachel Griffin and Rebecca Griffin (who record independently of one another).
Katy Perry- I kissed a girl
The National is easily my favorite and most-played band of the last six months. I'm just dying to see them live.

As for most played tracks of any band over the last several months: "Waterfall," "Hey Now Now," and "Beautiful Mess" by The Cloud Room, "Come Downstairs and Say Hello" by Guster, and "Bad Sun" by The Bravery. (Thanks to LastFM for tracking 'em for me!)
The National live sounded just like the record-almost too polished.
How to Fight Lonliness - Wilco

http://wilcoworld.net/records/summerteeth.php
Wilco makes me happy. Even when they make me sad.
I know the feeling. :)
At this moment, I am listening to Dimmu Borgir's "Unorthodox Manifesto" from the Death Cult Armageddon album.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service