Fight back against Bill Donohue!

So far today, I have received 39 pieces of personal hate mail of varying degrees of literacy, all because I was rude to a cracker. Four of them have included death threats, a personal one day record. Thirty-four of them have demanded that I be fired. Twenty-five of them have told me to desecrate a copy of the Koran, instead, or in some similar way offend Muslims, because — in a multiplicity of ironic cluelessness — apparently only some religious icons must be protected, and I would only offend Catholics because they are all so nice that none of them would wish me harm. I even have one email that says I should be fired, that the author would like to kill me, and that I only criticize because Catholics are so gentle and kind.

Oh, and of course, the university president's office has also received lots of mail demanding my immediate ouster (keep in mind, though…Catholics are no threat to anyone at all.) I don't know how much, but since Donohue published the president's email address and not mine, I imagine it's much greater than what I've seen. Those lovely Dark Age fanatics at the Catholic League have started a write-in campaign to start up an inquisition.

So no poll-crashing today. Instead, I would appreciate it if you would write a short note to President Robert Bruininks in support (he's going to hate me for this). I have to ask for a few constraints, though: only do so if you are willing to sign a real name to it — most of the complaint mail I'm getting uses fake names, making it much less persuasive — and that, unlike the religious screeds I'm seeing, you take the time to proofread and send him something that at least looks like a high school graduate wrote it, which will put you way above the level of the hate mail. Be polite and rational, too!

If you really want to impress, send him regular mail at this address:

President Robert H. Bruininks
202 Morrill Hall
100 Church Street S.E.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Bill Donohue has a loud, braying voice, and he's already trying to stir up a witch hunt. We need a counter-campaign from the secular community.

Posted by PZ Myers

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/

HH

Tags: Myers, PZ

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hopefully PZ is tenured.
I believe he's an Associate Professor, so he'd have tenure.
He is tenured. Unfortunately, tenure isn't quite what it used to be these days.
No kidding. I suspect the plea for letters of support is more than just a going-along-with-the-laugh it's presented as. Garbage like this, tenure or not, could seriously imperil one's job, and that'd be a real shame here.

I'm composing my letter right now and will pop it int he post before I'm off to work.
Unbelievable.
This is the first news article I've seen about this situation:

Minnesota college instructor under fire over communion wafer comments

I haven't seen it yet, but I do look for FOX NEWS to use the story as an excuse to do a little atheist bashing?
Hm, I notice the title uses "college" instructor, though the article itself uses "university."
I'm so all over this. President Bruininks can expect an actual, real-live snail mail letter from me.
This is absolutely ridiculous! Don't people have better things to do? *sigh* Like PZ says, it's a god damned cracker! Please don't judge me on my frustrated exclamation marks, swear words, and vocal sighs. I hope I can create a well-thought out, articulate letter to send, as support letters are always nice. =D LOL Also, I'd love to see someone get him, or try to get him myself, some more wafers. I'd love to see those pictures he was talking about!
Hey, PZ, I am going to write President Bruininks. After reading your links and finding out that Mr. Cook is a Student Senator and is upset that a public university spends money on a religious institution on campus, I am even more upset. This was not a fraternity prank, it was an act of education and protest. Mr. Cook certainly learned a lesson in catholic fanaticism. I have had a few of those myself. These people have no problem ruining a life over petty, dogmatic, superstitious beliefs.
Mims
Jesus Christ! What's gonna be next, people getting murdered for depicting Jesus in a cartoon?
I just want to agree with what you said, and also express my love of Father Ted.

That is all, over and out.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service