I didn't see this in the other posts and I think it's worth discussing.

The hard distinction between Atheists and Believers that most of us are used to is actually an artifact of the theistic Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). These religions have frequently feared and persecuted unbelievers, and this habit persists in their associated cultures.

By contrast, Asian religions, philosophies, and "spiritual paths" (including Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Taoism, and others) generally don't emphasize God (and frequently not even "gods" or other "spirit beings"), and generally have a much more live-and-let-live attitude toward variations in belief and opinion.

Comments?

Tags: Asian, Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Taoism, religions, spirituality

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Asian philosophies are as monstrous as the western counterparts.

Example:

crippled children deserve it for past sins.

Want to get really depressed ? Discover Sri Lanka. Buddhists are quite capable of mindless evil. Don't tell me their shit don't stink.
I have come to believe that the idea of Karma is more monstrous then the threat of living an eternal life in hell. What could be worse then telling someone that they deserve every thing they get in this life because they were evil in a past life.
I am a pretty hardcore skeptic, but I have come to a new understanding of karma, that it is more of a result of how you treat people. If you are an asshole and constantly take from people then when you get in a bind there is no one there to help you. but if you are a decent human who helps people who need it and are a "good" person then when you are in a bind people tend to help and things work out for the best.

I agree the true definition of karma is bogus, i consider this a more humanistic outlook on the world
Pockets: I am a pretty hardcore skeptic, but I have come to a new understanding of karma, that it is more of a result of how you treat people. If you are an asshole and constantly take from people then when you get in a bind there is no one there to help you. but if you are a decent human who helps people who need it and are a "good" person then when you are in a bind people tend to help and things work out for the best.

Please explain Dick Cheney.
He's a fuckin' alien. From planet Asshole.
Anecdotal story: My second son was scheduled to be born (c-section) on a date that worked best for us and my doctor. My Korean mother in law was very insistent that my husband and I choose a different date for the birth because the date we chose was an inauspicious date. This was the one time I have EVER seen her get angry and insistent. Upset to the point that I was concerned that she might view our son somehow different or doomed (she hasn't). Normally she (irritatingly) defers to her sons and husband's wishes. She never did say what the issue was with the original date, or if she did my husband spared me from that information. As a side note, I was surprised how many people thought WE were being irrational by refusing to change our plans.

My point in sharing this is that while perhaps there is some truth to Asians being more willing to have a live-and-let-live attitude, they are certainly not immune to imposing irrational beliefs on others.
Dawn K: My point in sharing this is that while perhaps there is some truth to Asians being more willing to have a live-and-let-live attitude, they are certainly not immune to imposing irrational beliefs on others.

Sati. Just one example.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service