I couldn't. I've never had a relationship with a woman who was very religious. I think it would be a constant source of disagreement. OTOH, Darwin was married to a religious woman for most of his life, so it does happen. What has been your experience?

Views: 832

Replies to This Discussion

the space monster he's in an abusive relationship with

THAT, is one of the best descriptions of religion I've heard in a very long time!

And I'm with you on the last bit. I could get along with a moderate Buddhist, Pagan, even Hindu. Any of those paths (and versions thereof) that don't directly conflict with scientific exploration. But a monotheist? A strict/fundamentalist anything?

Even the ones who say they're still ok with science. Why? How can you hold two wildly opposing beliefs at once? That in and of itself is seriously messed up.
Thanks! I tend to feel a bit embarrassed about my irrationality at times, because my default mode is not just to laugh at superstition, but to assume for a moment it's real for the person experiencing it, and then wonder about what it means. I'm not totally rational myself, I entertain the odd delusion or two; although I do prize rationality, I don't always achieve it.

But seriously, apply that to monotheism in particular - a genderless flaming monster from space, they refer to it as "He" not because it has genitals, but as an honorific because it supports misogyny. It tells them to hate and kill, to sacrifice their children, gives them all kinds of weird rules, and demands they love it, for the hope of living with it up in space somewhere, while everyone who displeases it will be tortured forever in some fiery dimension it made for just that purpose. It's straight out of Lovecraft. The weirdness of seeing it or it's minions native forms is even supposed to melt your face off, so they put on disguises when they come to our world to rape us or ensnare us in their strange machinations. I don't know where people come up with the idea of kissing it's big fiery ass. Isn't the natural and reasonable response to being threatened by some massive fire monster from space HOSTILITY? Assuming I believed in that thing, I'd personally tend to want to try to kill it, rather than worship it. So... even if I assume a monotheist isn't just making things up, I can't get next to that. And assuming they are grooving on a made-up myth (which is of course the case) how is that myth in any way wholesome? I'm happy to hang out with people who worship stuff from the Cthluhu mythos, for a JOKE, but seriously, I'm not dating someone who prays to something that belongs in the Monster Manual.
All my relationships have been with religious people, and now I severely regret it. I have come to realize, that with me, it just will not work out! I need to be with a like-minded person, someone who is neither spiritual or relligious!
I will probably never date a religious person again, unless maybe a Buddhist. Never another monotheist though, espeically a Christian.
My first wife came from a very Catholic family, whereas I have always been atheist (since the age of about 6 - no kidding). I refused to marry her in a Catholic ceremony, so we compromised and had a civil ceremony in a small chapel (only the superficial trappings of religion, without the mumbo jumbo). But she was not very religious and very private about her beliefs, whatever they really were. My second wife was atheist, so no problem there. Now that I am single again, it is something of a problem trying find a date, living in Kansas and all. But I am adamant that "I don't do christians". I share the sentiment several have expressed that, in order to be serious about someone, I have to respect them. I can't respect anyone who buys into a pre-packaged belief system rather than thinking for themselves. That said, I guess the key word in the subject is 'highly' - if a person is private about some personal spirtual feelings that is just fine. As long as they don't run their lives according to some divine ordination or expect me to, I guess not all forms of 'spirituallity' would be a deal-breaker. But maybe I'm just getting old and desperate...
no thank you!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service