Introduce yourself with a little pertinent info and maybe a recent photo.

Views: 2792

Replies to This Discussion

G'day all! :)

Matthew from Brisbane, Australia here, sorry I haven't supplied a pic yet but I have to be cautious about what I put online (long story short, I've pissed off some dangerous people over the years) - I promise I'm a fine specimine though :P

I'm 26, have been an atheist all my life (it just never seemed plausible, I thought everyone was just pretending for tradition or something, like they did for santa); though my brothers, sisters and I were raised culturally catholic, my parents are pretty awesome and never pressured us into any of the belief crapola. :)

I have worked for a couple of years each in Education, IT and Telecoms, am currently supporting myself doing freelance IT work, and working part-time on a large game design project that'll hopefully be ready to launch in a couple of months. I'm of slim build, I enjoy cooking, reading (almost all genres), losing myself in the net - you know, when you start by looking up on yahoo answers what to put in an indian curry, and later look up from the wikipedia page on the history of gregorian chant and wonder where the hours went! - and I guess you could say I'm something of an information junkie. Not that I'm one to spout off disparate facts just to seem smart though, I keep it low-key until I can actually be useful or add to a discussion.

I'm a recent podcast addict; I hardly listen to any music any more since my iPhone's always full of brainier stuff (or just irreverent revelry as laid down by the likes of the Non-Prophets Radio team), though my love of music is both deep and wide-ranging... I prefer metal or alt rock but my extensive [10,000+ track] playlist includes everything from trance to DnB, pop to melodic death metal, goth to symphony, to dance, house, psychedelic... even some Blues (hey, can't forget Hendrix!)

Setting aside gastronomical and aural indulgences, some of the more serious things I'm passionate about include improving the way our world treats children (in some areas we fail them by not protecting them enough, and in other ways we stunt their intellectual growth, to the detriment of us all), advocating the free exchange of - and access to - cultural material (proud pirate, YARRR!), and making all individuals, corporations and governments accountable for their actions (Wikileaks is a godsend, scuse the term ;)).

As may also be evident, I tend to waffle a bit when typing - though in person I'm fairly plain-spoken :)

This post wouldn't be complete without a nod to Heather, you are a credit to hawt librarians everywhere, thanks for starting this group! :D
Hello all.

Mike from Salt Lake. Yes, that Salt Lake. I'm 27 for another month, give or take. To paraphrase Steven Colbert: people tell me I'm a geek and I believe them because I own a bat'leth. However, my geekery has served me well as I am now a gainfully employed website programmer. I'm a George Carlin acolyte, and I enjoy telling people it was Carlin that influenced me to atheism because I get derive a great amount of personal amusement from confusing people.

I'm an avid reader when I am not programming or playing video games, and sometimes I even read books that aren't science fiction or programming manuals. I've been studying philosophy lately for fun.

Also, I'm told my super hero identity is "Captain Inappropriate", while others suggest I have some sort of mutant ability. I'm not sure either of those apply, but hey, anything helps.
A geek in Utah who studies philosophy for fun.

Gives me hope that there's one just like you in my age range!
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, but if the Meetup group I attend is any indication there is a growing number of us. (Us defined as 20-35 year old geeks who read philosophy books for fun.)
I once killed a bear-holding-a-shark with my bare hands.
Greetings All,
I haven't been here long and I normally don't have much time for posting on social sites, but this one is great. A lot of interesting people of all ages with something important in common - and strong tendency towards intelligence :)

BIO: I'm Canadian, 52 yrs old, and spent most of my life as a struggling student with a very singular focus - advancing my career. It has been very interesting and very successful (I am now a tenured associate professor at K-State doing research in crop protection entomology) but for some reason I am less happy now than when I was a student/post-doc. I have been married and divorced twice, 2 young daughters from my 1st marriage growing up without me in Canada (I do see them twice a year, but its not enough). My 2nd wife left me last year after 9 years together and I have been alone on this frozen/baking desert ever since. I dare not say anything disparaging about the local people, and there are some good ones, but let's just say I don't fit in here and never will. This is a very close-knit, conservative, religious community and I have very few friends, even though I've been here 7 years now. Although tenure is great job-security, it also makes it tough to move to another job.

Life can be so unfair. You never realize the times when you were really happy until you look back on them from the future. Now I have everything I slaved so hard to get, but I have no one to share it with and I'm stuck somewhere I'd rather not be.

LADIES: I am not hung up on looks, only intellect, and I have money to travel, so don't be shy!
I used to be a marathon cyclist (aahhh, the post-doc years, sigh), I am active, work out regularly, and still like to cycle. I like to have a few beers in the evening with some good company. Obligatory photo is attached below (me talking to farmers about how to manage sunflower insects). Oh yes, and I like to use the word 'evolution' as often as I possibly can in these situations....
Attachments:
Looks like I forgot to introduce myself when I joined the group.

I am 28 and just moved to Delaware. I have a BA in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, an MS in Biomedical Sciences, and am working on a PhD in Marine Microbial Ecology. Yes, I love science and school :) Just starting to write my doctoral proposal- very exciting and so much to be done!

I've been a non-believer for as long as I can remember. My parents taught me Hinduism growing up but I can't remember ever believing in god/gods. Religious stories make for excellent fiction though, all that blood, gore, violence, betrayal, magic, etc :) Incidentally, I never believed in Santa Claus either, although I am retaining hope of one day finding a Prince Charming!

I have been married (at 21) and divorced (at 24) before and I guess I was just too young then to be settling. I have no children and I am undecided as to wanting them in the future. My age range for date-able men ranges from 3-4 years younger than me to 30 years older. Don't ask me why, I just like intelligent, active men and age never seems to factor in. Interests include: science, science fiction, human space travel, astronomy, physics, cooking, hiking, traveling, reading, and so on.

I will be adding more pictures to my profile page but I have a couple on there so far. Don't be shy in terms of contacting me! I like having discussions in general.
<3 Mrina ~(@)~
Wow, I wish I knew that much about biology. I might have studied it in college, but I don't like to cut things open. I do have a friend who intended to major in biology but ended up getting into marine geology, but I don't know if he's doing anything with it. His dad is a professor of biology at the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY.
Haha, I hated cutting things open and so I left animal biology. It seemed so cruel! I work with marine bacteria now, they don't care and there are plenty more of them ready to take over if a few are killed ;)
That's cool. You and he must have studied some of the same things. That area of expertise always makes me think of articles I've read about the ecosystems they're discovering around thermal vents. Fascinating stuff, especially to think that anything could survive at such extreme temperatures.
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology - sounds extremely cool and fun. Hard to find jobs in that field?
Hmm, I have never found a job in that field but then, I have never looked. I went into more of the molecular biology side and been doing that since. :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service