Introduce yourself with a little pertinent info and maybe a recent photo.

Views: 2786

Replies to This Discussion

Hello everyone. I am 21 years old and I live in India. I just completed my Aeronautical Engineering and now going to pursue masters in that. Well, I became atheist just an year back although I always had doubts pertaining to that. My past time is writing any stuff. i just completed a short book "The Insightful Mortal" the link of which is http://www.scribd.com/doc/229487986/The-Insightful-Mortal . I have been single all along because I have never found anyone of the same mentality and intellect I wish to have in my partner

Oh hell. Not many visitors, but why not?

About 6 years an atheist before my dad put my older sister and me into a Catholic school (he didn't trust himself to raise moral kids); about 20 years a Catholic before I tossed my parents and their religion, about 52 years an agnostic before a guy dared me to leave my closet; the rest of my 83 years a way-out atheist.

Early during my agnostic years, a six-year marriage to an agnostic woman and by agreement no kids. We joined the same singles club and our dancing surprised some new friends.

I'm in Yountville California, nine miles north of Napa, and was looking at my laptop screen when at 3:20AM on August 31 a 6.0 earthquake rattled the county and emptied half of my bookshelves. The only damage was to two ceramics pieces I'd finished a week earlier.

I read, write, do lightweight politics, chat about lots of stuff, and occasionally go to The City (SF).

RSVP. (Don't know French but I'm studying Spanish.)

Well, I guess I might as well join the gang. I live in San Diego, California, but have been all over the place: Chicago, Berkeley, North Carolina, Colorado. I was married for a while in NC, but when I came clean about being an atheist (I had been teeter-tottering on the fence for a while), my marriage went down the drain and my ex-wife ended up in a psychiatric ward (no joke; she had bipolar disorder). I was dating a wonderful woman for a while recently, but friends started asking me when we were going to get married. Even though she was accepting of my atheism, I was never quite comfortable with seeing Bible quotes on her wall, and I realized that if we got married, I would have to live with that kind of stuff—so I broke it off. I'm sure her (very religious) parents were relieved. :-)

I've tried dating websites, but as soon as someone (atheist or not) finds out that I am deaf, I never hear back. I'm going to make more of an effort to get out and meet other atheists in my area, just so I can expand my social circle—not necessarily for dating, but so I can perhaps find a few people who share some interests (cycling, golf, dogs, and books) and who won't look at me with that pitying expression—most of us know it well—when I tell them that I am an atheist. 

... and who won't look at me with that pitying expression—most of us know it well—when I tell them that I am an atheist.

Awwwwww, and he seemed so nice.  I wonder what happened?

Think carefully for a moment; do atheists who get a pitying expression use words that invite it?

Maybe 25 years ago I told a very bright woman that I seem to attract passive women. Without a moment's hesitation she asked me if something in my manner invites such women.

BINGO!

I was ready to see it (no longer needed to deny it) and I saw it. Happily I was doing volunteer work that gave me opportunities to practice new ways to relate.

I must have succeeded because right now I don't remember what I changed. I also no longer have that complaint; I enjoy occasional verbal combat with assertive women.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Luara commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post Homosexuals!
5 minutes ago
BIPLAB DAS updated their profile
9 minutes ago
BIPLAB DAS posted a blog post
14 minutes ago
Luara commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post Homosexuals!
15 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on sacha's group No Nonsense
48 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Luara's discussion do theists actually believe it?
52 minutes ago
Ezra replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
56 minutes ago
59 minutes ago
Ezra posted videos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion People Generally Don't Like Whistle Blowers
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service