I have to confess my ignorance about them, other than they seem pretty harmless. They've not been mentioned in the forums that I can see.

What are peoples thoughts on them ?

Tags: Bahá'í, bad, good, harmless, irrelevant

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I knew most of that. My question was more about people impact - do they have loons, do they have absurd or harmful practices, do they poison peoples minds, manipulate children etc.
In fact, they are practically invisible here in the US.

And here. They have 1 temple in the entire country. That's why I was asking. Most every other religion has copped a hammering here - I was wondering why they have never been mentioned.
Only recently been aware of them myself; I know they do have some podcasts out there that I found educational, but like all religions, it's all about the soft-sell. Once you delve into it, it doesn't take long to find out why it doesn't offer anything more significant than sticking with your own religion, and nothing worth gaining if you're atheistic.

Their stance on homosexuality, "a condition that an individual should control and overcome", and by Shoghi Effendi, former leader of the faith, who describes it as "a handicap", makes Bahaiism, weather they admit it or not, at least, a potentially homophobic and intolerant institution. It certainly doesn't jive with their own concept proclaimed by Bahá'u'lláh himself who asserts that true science and true religion can never be in conflict, and he also admonished that true religion must conform to the conclusions of science. The debate still ensues, though I've made up my own mind about the matter.

On the face of it, I find the Bahai Faith attractive and a proponent of sensible values, but underneath it all, it has its own creepy, Orwellian, cultic side as well.
I get a hoot out of listening to these discussions. It is almost as if you were taking about what dogs think. Have you considered asking a Baha'i what they think? Many of them are capable of communicating in well known languages, some even speak English!

I do want to dispute one particular point. There is nothing of the "cult" about them. Correct me if I am wrong, but cults tend to center on a personality like Charles Manson, Jim Jones or an Ayatollah. They have no clergy and their governance is elected.

Muslims do not care for them because they have a bad habit of proselytizing others to their religion.
Alex -

Let's try to apply some gray matter. I made the statement that I do not consider them a cult because they are not following a "personality." Most cults are built around a charismatic leader, like a Charlie Manson. Your reply seems to be that they worship a dead guy and that makes them a cult. Nor do they surrender their worldly possessions or drink poison Cool-Aid.

I don't know if you are a liar or just ignorant, but the Baha'i do not worship Baha'u'lah. He is considered a teacher or a prophet, but not a God or son of God or whatever.

Regarding their treatment of ex-members, are you sure you have the right religion? I only know about Baha'i s because my brother was a Baha'i. Did you notice the "was"? Was his experience a fluke?

You have some definite evangelical tendencies there, Reverend Billy Bob, you climb up in your pulpit and spout your opinions as if they were fact. The Baha'i don't have to do anything cult-like, if you say they are a cult, that should be proof enough? Can you corroborate any of that?

I eagerly await your next sermon from the mound.
Alex -

How interesting, there is little question that the Baptists are taking a back seat in the irrational spewing of ignorance.

I repeat; The Bahai do not worship Baha'u'lah and they do not mistreat those who choose to leave.

If you took the time to check your facts, I believe you will find that you don't have any. Unfortunately, because you are obviously all knowing, checking the facts are below you.

I am almost intrigued by your suggestion that I am not an atheist. Apparently I have been guilty of heresy by the right reverend Billy Bob.

To Kelly -

I found Alex's comments to be offensive, but I promise to stay calmer in the future.
Wow. I just asked a simple question. I do however find it reassuring that as for as contempt for religion goes, we're an equal opportunity lot. None shall be spared.
Of course I'm an asshole! I went to the forum category, "Theism, Deism, & All Things Religious."

Now only a complete asshole would think of discussing religion there, right?

Then I enter a discussion titled, "Open Question on the Baha'i."

And like an asshole, I made comments on the actual subject!!!!! I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

I swear, you must be a fundamentalist. You think like one, you sound like one, and you have the same bizarre system of logic.
Of course I'm an asshole! I went to the forum category, "Theism, Deism, & All Things Religious."

Now only a complete asshole would think of discussing religion there, right?

Then I enter a discussion titled, "Open Question on the Baha'i."

And like an asshole, I made comments on the actual subject!!!!! I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

I swear, you must be a fundamentalist. You think like one, you sound like one, and you have the same bizarre system of logic.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service