The title says it all - tell us which book(s) you're currently reading, and what you think so far.

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

"I would argue that morals are adaptations toward group living"

I would entirely agree.

You might like this group
I have Susan Jacoby's book 'Freethinkers: A history of American Secularism sitting here to start tonight after I finish the book I'm just about done with...do we ever sleep?
I'm looking forward to reading this book, I read the first bits (I always do when I get a stack of books) and it sounds tasty.
Let me know what you think about Freethinkers. I enjoyed her recent book.
I would like to hear what you think of the Kindle. I'm considering one myself.
I'm almost ashamed to admit in the company of skeptics and freethinkers that I just finished reading Stephanie Myers Twilight Saga Trilogy, I guess you could call it a guilty pleasure. I really enjoyed them and can't wait for her next installment. ;)

Right now I'm reading one of Terry Pratchett's many Discworld books.
Nothing wrong with reading fantasy. Fantasy is a good healthy thing for a mind to do. It's one starts believing fantasy that the downward spiral starts.
I love fantasy books but tend towards the 'hard' science fiction - the old guard like Asimov, Clarke etc - but I do like boks like Ender's Game and Ian Banks' series
Awesome! I'm currently reading Hogfather by Terry Prachett. I started with the Death books and then I want to go back and read the rest!
I was trying to read Robert Draper's book about the Bush presidency, Dead Certain, but I just can't get into it. I thought reading that would give me specific examples to point to when telling people why I despise Bush. But the narrative is all over the place and it's annoying me for a reason I can't quite pin down. I checked it out from the library over 3 weeks ago and now it sits on my shelf collecting overdue charges. After reading this thread I'm going to return it tomorrow and check out Infidel.
I'm currently reading "Freedom Evolves" by Daniel Dennett.
Currently reading "Sense and Goodness without God". I still have Hitchens, Harris and Dennett waiting to be read...

"Sense and Goodness" is not as heavy-going as it sounds. The first chapters are a bit dry as he's laying the foundation, but it picks up after that. It's a remarkable effort at laying down a complete worldview, and it's a worldview that so far I have no objections to. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a more solid foundation for their atheism.
I'm reading God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by You Know Who, Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith, Stephen King's On Writing, and am re-reading Lord of the Barnyard: Killing the Fatted Calf and Arming the Aware in the Cornbelt by Tristan Egolf. I need more hours in the day.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service