This was a letter to the editor in our local paper today.

From Cumberland-Times News
www.times-news.com

Search hearts, brains for answers
To the Editor:
Cumberland Times-News

I read the article in today’s paper (“Scientists beaming after test of big atom smasher,” Sept. 11) about the scientists beaming about the big atom smasher.

I have heard it all now and I am sure I will be attacked from all angles. All of the intellects will be rushing to call me stupid. I am just an uneducated wife and mother, although I have a business that is very honorable and has paid our bills for 24 years.

Now, before you attack me, I hope you give all of the following great thought and see where your trillions of dollars are being spent. I am sure we, the taxpayers, have paid for most of it and it is a total humiliating waste of our money and your time. It certainly would feed the world many meals and be helpful in finding cures for the many health problems that humans have created. (You see, in the Garden of Eden there were no health issues, but man had to mess that up right away).

So you have a machine that can blow up tiny particles after 20 years of research. When you did the big bang did it create a sun and a moon and the Earth in between placed in just the exact perfect location to give the soon to come animal particles and plant particles and monkeys and fish and worms just the right vitamins and warmth so that we could evolve from these tiny creatures?

Will your sun give us the perfect warmth all around our world so it will not scorch us to death? Will your moon also give us light and the cool of the night so the plants and animals cool down? Will your bang machine also create gravity so that we don’t fall off?

Oh, and most important, will it command the oceans that they cannot come onto land and wipe us away? Then you need to add the pure water that comes from the cloud formations above the earth that give us the most bang for our bucks because without the pure water we are all dead.

Then if you are able to accomplish all of these marvelous things after spending our tax dollars, will your machine be able to give humans one distinctive gene that no other creature on earth will have? Giving us perfect dominion over all of the earth as the smartest creatures? And I am amazed that you can create trillions of trillions of galaxies trillions of trillions of light years into space and form beautiful stars to light up our night sky so we can enjoy light.

Also, while you are at it would you find out why lots of monkeys decided to stay monkeys instead of having a home, car and job and a spouse and children? I can’t imagine preferring to hang from a tree and run for your life so you don’t get eaten when you could be a human and help to pay for this wonderful Big Bang Machine.

I am not an intellectual by any means and I know your great minds will find a way to answer all of the above plus more jargon to confuse our wonderful children’s minds but you need to really search your hearts and your brains and realistically put all of this into the right perspective.

The Big Bang that you didn’t hear was God’s voice when He spoke the Word and created the Heavens and the Earth. You make it all so complicated when it is so very easy. God loves us and created this beautiful universe for us. Yes, we need to take better care of it but trust me and trust God’s word that this will all be here and is His to do with what He will and it was never man’s idea. As I am sure you have heard thousands of times before, blow up a can of soda and you don’t get a bunch of perfectly formed sodas in tact but what you get is a totally destroyed can of soda and a bunch of tiny sharp objects that are worth nothing.

I thank God for this beautiful Earth, the air I breathe, my eyes to see, and most of all the incredible husband, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren that he gave me to love and enjoy for many years. I don’t know about you but my ancestors were not monkeys. My family is far too beautiful to me to come from anything other than God Himself.

Barbara Snyder

Cumberland

---------------------------------------

She's right about being uneducated and not being an intellectual.

Welcome to western Maryland.

Have at it folks.

Tags: bible, crazy, creationist, letter, thumper

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope that someone responds to this letter. How the hell can this kind of trash get printed? It's infuriating to the nth degree.
Seems western Maryland = rural Ohio.
Stupidity is found in all geographical locations - although some areas got a surplus.
The depth of ignorance demonstrated by some people is mind boggling.
If you were to put a hole in this woman's head, you would hear a giant sucking sound......heheheh....ignorant people.....aren't they cute??? (NOT)
So...wait...without gravity, we'll fall off? How? And the thing with the water, that's...you see there's this...and...

*short circuit. rebooting...rebooting*

You know what, eff all this. Give me the monkey's life. At least the monkey doesn't have to share the whole gene pool with this 'un. Also, no taxes. Man, monkeys get everything.
The moon gives us light? =O I thought it merely reflected the sun. Silly me, believing science over a 2,000 year old book.

I love how God is keeping the water from taking over the earth, rather than being limited by its inability to climb slopes and defy gravity.

I didn't realize this thread was almost two years old. .___. Why was it necromanced?
Because she deserves it? Or we have a rogue necromancer, using her hellspawned powers to raise the dead so we can laugh at them some more.
she doesnt know that modern and historic life has evolved to fit these criteria and not the other way around?

*headdesk* i weep for humanity
Was it Stephen Hawking that said he wanted to make science more accessible to the average person? Regardless, I wish someone would, so that doofuses like Ms. Snyder wouldn't be coming at us from all sides.

Yet even if it WERE accessible, would she watch the Discovery Channel or Jerry Springer? Would she be fascinated by the steps that led to the Big Bang theory or would she be more interested in what J-Lo have been doing lately? Sadly, I fear the answer is both intuitively obvious and not very encouraging.

I still remember watching Don Herbert, a.k.a. Mr. Wizard when he was ORIGINALLY on (that's back in the 50's, people!), and getting an enormous kick out of the experiments he did. Note that he didn't just do those experiments, he involved kids in the process. Throughout the whole thing, there was an undercurrent of wonder, of "wow, isn't that amazing / interesting / surprising?" I note that Herbert was still at it into the 80's, where Bill Nye the Science Guy has taken the baton and done yeoman's service with it.

If we're going to get people to take science seriously, we have to hook 'em young and maintain their interest ... and maybe somehow wean them off the celebrity addiction that too many of them seem to have. I'd like to believe it's possible, but honestly, I am not optimistic.
I want to take a fake gun and place it against my temple.
My favorite paragraph.

"Also, while you are at it would you find out why lots of monkeys decided to stay monkeys instead of having a home, car and job and a spouse and children? I can’t imagine preferring to hang from a tree and run for your life so you don’t get eaten when you could be a human and help to pay for this wonderful Big Bang Machine."
I am just an uneducated wife and mother, although I have a business that is very honorable and has paid our bills for 24 years.

And this, therefore, qualifies her to comment on the origin of the Universe and life.

Fucking hell, this gets me every single time: "Oh I'm just a soccer mom, but here's what I think about Quantum Rocket Biology," "Oh I may not be an MD but I touched my head to this rock and just like that, two weeks later my headache was gone."

Can we just make a Universal Rule: Unless you're asked an opinion, keep your damned mouth shut if you have to premise whatever you are going to say with why you're unqualified to say it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service