Today I went to the Natural Science museum, and the special exhibit was The Dead Sea Scrolls. It wasn't what I expected to say the least. The museum actually used the acronyms "BCE" and "CE" when they were referring to important dates, and even explained the difference between BC and BCE, as well as AD and CE. Part of the exhibit focused on when the scrolls where discovered, who did the discovering, etc. There was a lot of history involved; the exhibit also examined the ancient history of the scrolls: why they were written, who were they written by and where the scrolls were kept.

The exhibit kind of blended together science, history, biblical history, anthropology, and other fields. I'm not sure if this belonged in the Science museum or not. They only science related material I saw was about the land, how the paper degrades after so many years, and what they have done to preserve the scrolls.

Ironically enough the History museum is located right beside the Science museum. You could literally stand by science museum and throw a rock that would hit the history museum.

One thing that bothered me was they spoke about jesus like he actually existed. There was a time-line on a wall of one of the rooms that displayed events and the life span of influential people, sure enough jebus was up there.

In the actual room where the scrolls were kept a large poster was displayed above each segment with a translation of what was inscribed on that particular section. I took notes, the following passages were on display:

Jubilees
21:5-10 = against idolatry, eating of blood and proper procedure for making sacrifices

Deuteronomy 23:26 - 24:8
1 When a man taketh a wife, and marrieth her, then it cometh to pass, if she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some unseemly thing in her, that he writeth her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house,
2 and she departeth out of his house, and goeth and becometh another man's wife,
3 and the latter husband hateth her, and writeth her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, who took her to be his wife;
4 her former husband, who sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD; and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance. {S}
5 When a man taketh a new wife, he shall not go out in the host, neither shall he be charged with any business; he shall be free for his house one year, and shall cheer his wife whom he hath taken.
6 No man shall take the mill or the upper millstone to pledge; for he taketh a man's life to pledge. {S}
7 If a man be found stealing any of his brethren of the children of Israel, and he deal with him as a slave, and sell him; then that thief shall die; so shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee. {S}
8 Take heed in the plague of leprosy, that thou observe diligently, and do according to all that the priests the Levites shall teach you, as I commanded them, so ye shall observe to do.

A few others were displayed as well, most of them has violent images from the bible (huge shocker there!!), which I thought was funny.

Overall the exhibit wasn't at god-themed as I thought it was going to be...

If it comes to your town check it out.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If this exhibit came to my town, I'd picket it! It sounds like ID fans trying to slide some propaganda under the door of science.
I went in thinking it was going to be like that, but it really wasn't. It shouldn't have been in the science museum, it belonged in an anthropology or history museum.
I tried to get people to go to that museum on Saturday. Not so much for that exhibit, mostly because I haven't made it there yet and I may not have many more opportunities.

Bugfest is rolling through on the 20th and I know a few people who are volunteering there, so I'll probably take a look then.
Their sponsor is Terminix!! That's hilarious. I want to go to that too, but I may be out of town next weekend. But if I'm not I'll probably go.
I typed next weekend, I meant to type weekend after next when the festival is actually occurring....

my bad yo

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service