2008 September 06
“The God of the Old Testament is a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sado-masochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” Richard Dawkins

Terence Meaden says:
Seeing that this is a perceptive, truthful observation that stands up to any amount of scrutiny, here is some sound advice.

Type it on to sticky labels and take them with you on your travels.

You may then put a sticker into every Gideon bible you encounter in order to help guide potential browsers towards the truth

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha - I once had a discussion with a xtian along similar lines. I first asked them if they believed that their god was perfect to which I knew they would reply in the affirmative as all xtians do. Then I went out and bought them a present. They were shocked to receive a present from me, a "non-believer" but when they open their present they were bewildered because inside the wrapping there were 2 red pens. When asked what the red pens were for, I told them that they basically had 2 choices as a xtian. If they believed their god to be perfect, they needed to go through the bible with their red pens and cross out all unwholesome thoughts (ie thoughts of hatred/anger/etc), words (vilification against other tribes/heathen/etc, angry words, words of hatred, etc) and actions (mass genocides, infanticide, killings, causing suffering to other beings human or otherwise) at which point there would be very little left of the OT (which includes most of the creator-god being descriptions as opposed to god-as-son-part-of-the-triune which I never understood). The second option is to be a biblical inerrantist and admit that god is not perfect.

I don't think they used the pens but it did make them think a little more about their beliefs and it was a lot of fun for me to watch!
"Then I went out and bought them a present. . . inside the wrapping there were 2 red pens."

Great. That's another fine way to make the point.
@Dannyisme: "Isn't guiding people toward "the truth" what religious people do?"

Not really. No two religious people share the same "truth", so its hardly "guiding".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service