I was talking to a friend of mine, and asked her what can I do to help atheism and help tear down religion. She told me that I could write a book and I've been wanting to do that for sometime now.

I know that I can never top Dawkins or Hitchens, so I don't want to write about why atheism is the logical choice. It is. If someone could read God Delusion, and still believe in god, they are too lost to help. But I want to write a book on how we can tear down religion (and all superstition), on how each of us can go and help tear down religion. I can express myself eloquently and write what I feel, but I know I could never write a 400 page book, so I was thinking of more of a pamphlet/handout thing, around 30-50 pages. I already have a full page of things that each individual can do, but am still looking for more ideas. Also, I am looking for advice on writing and getting my book "out there".

IMO, nonbelievers aren't nearly as radical as we should be. Nonbelievers are a HUGE chunk of the world, we NEED TO BE HEARD! Most nonbelievers I know are extremely passive and don't defend their lack of faith when challenged or even insulted.

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think being out in the open is the first step, actually. Support the Out Campaign and don't be afraid to speak your mind.
On a side note, you may be interested in joining the A|N group. I Write Because I Have To. As well as checking out the thread Wild Hairs & Brainstorms. Good luck with your idea, it sounds like a good one.
~Stef
Destroying religion is something that cannot be done without bloodshed... sadly. People will fight and die for their beliefs (mostly muslims). However, there is hope! I agree with you, rallying fellow nonbelievers is the first step. Studies show (oh how I hate that preface) that most young people stop attending religious service once they enter college. That, coupled with the influx of new information college students generally receive about religion, philosophy, psychology, etc. from the classes they take leaves their minds more open to new theories and concepts. What I'm saying is that a college campus would be a great point of distribution for your pamphlets. I also suggest you make your pamphlets rather brief, but offer supplemental information on let's say, a website. Once you garner enough support, writing a book would be a great idea, as you would already have a following. I would love to help you spread atheism and skepticism. We really do need to rally others with the same ideals. I don't know how much help I would be, but I am willing to offer my ideas nevertheless.
that most young people stop attending religious service once they enter college.

Why do _you_ think education and science are under such concerted attack ?
The reason why most young people stop when they go to college is because they are no longer going to church because their parents do. Some do learn stuff in college that will turn them off to religion, but if that doesn't happen, then they will start going to church once they have children. This is mostly for stupid reasons such as the need to give their children training wheels to figure out how to live in society, instead of teaching kids how to think.

Of course, some don't and will eat their children instead.
I hate to be a dick with this, but:

"I was talking to a friend of mine, and asked her what can I do to help Christianity and help tear down atheism. She told me that I could write a book and I've been wanting to do that for sometime now.

I know that I can never top LaHaye or Robertson, so I don't want to write about why Christianity is the logical choice. It is. If someone could read the Bible, and still disbelieve in god, they are too lost to help. But I want to write a book on how we can tear down atheism (and all heresy), on how each of us can go and help tear down atheism. I can express myself eloquently and write what I feel, but I know I could never write a 400 page book, so I was thinking of more of a pamphlet/handout thing, around 30-50 pages. I already have a full page of things that each individual can do, but am still looking for more ideas. Also, I am looking for advice on writing and getting my book "out there".

IMO, believers aren't nearly as radical as we should be. Believers are a HUGE chunk of the world, we NEED TO BE HEARD! Most believers I know are extremely passive and don't defend their faith when challenged or even insulted."

To me, the above sounds like the kind of thing that would get submitted to FSTDT. Standing on a street corner putting your beliefs into stranger's hands, and claiming that everything would be better if only everybody thought like you won't help anything. It's the same narrow worldview of the fundies, but in reverse.

Even if removing religion really was some kind of cure-all for the world's problems, it's painfully obvious that it's not going away any time soon. And trying to force it out will just make the problem worse. If you were a religious person, and you noticed that the members of the non-religious alternative were aggressively trying to push their point of view over all others, would you be inclined to join them? I doubt it. Chances are, most people in that situation would feel threatened and simply cling to their religion even more closely. Militant atheism will only produce militant theism.

The best thing you can do (and I'd offer the same advice to Richard Dawkins) is to lay back on hosing the world down with your viewpoint and simply help to spread learning and enlightenment. If you believe that atheism is the only logical choice, then educating people will inevitably bring them around to that. How about a pamphlet on the basics of evolution? Might stop so many uninformed people being taken in by the creationist's shallow mudslinging. Maybe a short booklet clearing up the myths and lies surrounding same-sex relationships? Far too many people believe the image of gays being hedonistic, sluttish, and predatory; even among the non-religious.

I just think your tone is geared too much towards hostility and pugnacity, when your enthusiasm for being pro-active could be directed to far more practical ends.
"Attack the ideas -- not God. Original sin; subjugation of women; asceticism; denial of self; impossible miracles and the atrocious history of Christ's church."

These are the very things that led me to scrutinize what I was being fed, and ultimately led to my rejection of religion. I think that the most effective thing we can do, for those of us who were once theists, is to think back to the beginning of your separation from the dogma of the church. What was it that led you to question what you were being told? That may be the very thing that if presented properly will cause someone else to reevaluate their beliefs. As much as I would love to do it, screaming "I'm right, you're wrong, stop being an idiot!" from the rooftops is not likely to change anyone's mind.
They will still feel attacked, and that's the whole problem. Especially if you make theists your primary target audience, instead of trying to make it general, like Sceptic said.
atheism = apathy.
as a matter of fact, i think i know a way you could get a pamphlet you write distro'd. ask me about it later.
I would say working to tear down religion is more anti-theism than atheism, but many are antitheistic atheists though. I must also say I disagree when it comes to being radical, this would also go as antitheism and not necessarily atheism. We're not a huge chunk of the world either, sadly.

I would guess that research would be your first step. Read news articles (old ones as well), books, writings and debate with other religious people. And read (some of) the religious texts, even though it is a lot. If you're going to attack religion in general you don't need this, but if you're going to attack specific religion I would recommend to read their canons.
To me, the above sounds like the kind of thing that would get submitted to FSTDT. Standing on a street corner putting your beliefs into stranger's hands, and claiming that everything would be better if only everybody thought like you won't help anything. It's the same narrow worldview of the fundies, but in reverse.

this is the same thing i frequently tell theists: promotion of religion and refutation of religion are not the same kind of argument. this is one of the aspects of the former that is not the same thing resipcrically: while a theist may be of one of many sects, they are still promoting specific morals and views. atheists do not have an 'agenda', simply because they are promoting the /lack/ of an agenda. we arent trying to convince someone to think like us, but to let go of the complexes religion conditioned them with and to form their own opinions, even if they are different from our own.

thread relevant :
a better way if dismantling the prescriptions of abrahamic religions is to argue why these kinds of views, and the way in which they are imposed, should be rejected.
If we would teach children to think instead of regurgitate, we may not need to ponder such questions.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service