I don't know about you all but I am sick and tired of not being heard on a national level, state level, or county level. I am tired of seeing my tax dollars being used to try and convince us that were are the one's who are crazy simply because we don't believe in the invisible known as "GOD".

I propose 1 year from now we all gather together our forces and march on WASHINGTON D.C. as a show of strength, support, brotherhood, and unity here in America. I would like those out there to join, help plan, help organize, gather permits, you name it to descend on Washington DC to show that we are not the immoral evil people that we are constantly made out to be in the news media. I'm tired of feeling like I have to take a backseat in public life and the ridicule the comes along with being an Atheist. As well to show that yes, there are BLACK ATHEISTS out there in America that are not only proud, but willing to stand and be seen as an actual US CITIZEN. If anyone has any ideas on helping me put this thing together by all means let me know. Because I am serious and feel like this is something we can all do and need to get done.

Tags: Challenge, DC, Marches, Million

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Might I suggest not calling it "one million Athiests' or bringing up a number at all? If we fall short of that number, whatever it is, then the march will be forever ridiculed for it, even though we have a good message.
10,000 atheists is a large number, but if we call it the 50,000 atheists, the sound bite will always be "Barely 20% of the widely touted "50,000" atheists bothered to show up to march on DC today..."

Just call for a Day of Reason March, and count who shows up. I'm sure it'll be a good number!
Excellent observation!
I admit it sounds pretty good. But Natl. Day of Reason this coming May is too close. In fact one year might be too close. This would have to be executed with perfection, taking into account the anticipated derailment and sabotages that will invariably ensue from very well funded organizations!

Even getting rooms might be a stretch when people find out what event you're there for. Remember, not many people will ever vote for an atheist, let alone help them establish a political voice.

Believe me, I like the idea. I'm just cautioning not jumping the gun blindly without professional advice and experience. It must be done right the first time or the media will eat us alive. (And yet if done right, a lot of people might come out of the closet! This means having your own media control and a single-message platform. Atheists don't have any platforms, so its purpose should be clear.)

But yeah, I like the idea.
What part of "Atheists come out in support of Natl. Day of Reason" isn't a nice simple, fairly easily agreed on message.

I know very few who wouldn't agree in general with support of thought.
I like this idea.

An observation - I'm having some cognitive dissonance between this concept and the concept, supported in another current discussion, that it doesn't matter what theists think of atheists. My head is spinning.
Its the difference maybe between individual's and group's.

Personal vs Public perception.

Someone coming to the nexus is looking for something. Going out into the public as a group is different because there are more moderates then extremists. Their perception is usually a reported someone told me, I saw on TV kind of thing.
I take it that the celebratory baby barbecue is off?
Dre, did you post this in the Black Freethought group, too?
The "National Day Of Reason" has a nice ring to it. Otherwise it sounds like we've worked our way down to the "Several Atheist Challenge, If The Weather Is Nice That Day". We could call it the SACITWINTD for short.
Daniel: I think it should be the "Several Atheist Challenge, If The Weather Is Nice That Day, and I Don't Have a Hangnail".
I'm a bit shagged out from keyboarding the last title of this shindig, so if you want to add "And Also As Long As I Don't Have A Nasty Zit", feel free.
I forward the idea of an atheist picnic as a possible event. After all everyone know how to picnic, and who could possibly hate a picnic.

Atheists picnic in support of day of reason. It could be billed as a discussion and community event. Anyone else could also be welcomed who wanted to support the idea of reason and community.

Then at midnight we can cook and eat the babies we brought. ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service