Philosophy (300)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

God: A Spiritual Lottery

In times of hardship, I am often told to pray. This made no sense to me, but I think I understand how to explain it. The "miracles" that p…

Started by Alexander Baldwin-McCurdy

5 on Tuesday
Reply by Alexander Baldwin-McCurdy

Is consciousness nothing more than a veneer of our biological underpinnings?

I’ve long wondered this question, albeit only from various smaller fragments when I was much, much younger, but I’ve never been able to pre…

Started by Just a Voice

7 Oct 24
Reply by Ted Foureagles

Beheadings.

I stayed away from watching any of the ISIS videos.  A few years ago when Nicholas Berg was murdered I allowed myself to watch and the nigh…

Started by Daniel W (Sentient Biped)

12 Oct 18
Reply by Daniel W (Sentient Biped)

Fundamentalist Epicureanism is now a thing

Six months ago, I created the Facebook group "Epicurean Philosophy" as a replacement for an older group, intended for critical and intellig…

Started by Mequa

15 Oct 12
Reply by Mequa

Neoepicurean Philosophy - new Facebook group

For anyone interested, a new group on Neoepicurean Philosophy has been created on Facebook. Group description: "The term “Neoepicurean Phil…

Started by Mequa

0 Sep 29

My gravesite inscription

“I was not. I have been, I am not. I am so grateful to have participated in life!” A beloved cousin died yesterday and we, at a Johnson/Smi…

Started by Joan Denoo

63 Sep 26
Reply by Joan Denoo

As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this. I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling". But as a…

Started by Steph S.

783 Sep 13
Reply by Mark Panko

Free Will [Sam Harris]

I know this has been discussed before, but I have read Sam Harris' book Free Will and Michael Shermer's book The Believing Brain, and I mus…

Started by Anthony Jordan

358 Aug 14
Reply by prem prakash pandey

Is "Philosophy of Life" Really a Tautology?

As a freshman, I had to apply in person to the dean of philosophy at the liberal arts college where I took my bachelor's degree: the subjec…

Started by James M. Martin

14 Aug 10
Reply by Luara

Secular Meditation & Mindfulness

Have you ever been at a family gathering where everyone in the group sits and waits for others to get a meal together, the tables set, the…

Started by Joan Denoo

0 Aug 1

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service