Philosophy (296)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Is God math and Science his Prophet?

In a philosophical way I like to define god as math with science being his prophet. That tends to throw religionists out of orbit and open…

Started by Chris G

34 Feb 1, 2010
Reply by Roy The Infidel

Determinism in dreams

First, understand that, to me, materialism refers not to 'matter' as opposed to 'energy.' We know those are just two manifestations of the…

Started by Howard S. Dunn

7 Jan 30, 2010
Reply by Howard S. Dunn

Happy Thomas Paine Day! (1737-1809)

January 29th is Thomas Paine Day. He was born this day in 1737 (though some sources say it was Feb. 9th) in Thetford, England. This is a…

Started by Hugh Kramer

1 Jan 29, 2010
Reply by John D

Favorite Atheist Sayings, No. 2

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both ab…

Started by James M. Martin

5 Jan 28, 2010
Reply by Freedom of Anonymity

Diamond In the Rough

One more author.Of Ender's Game, actually. Orson Scott Card is an iconic writer in science-fiction and fantasy. The Ender series alone brou…

Started by greyfoot

1 Jan 25, 2010
Reply by greyfoot

Imagination, dreams, illusions, delusions, cognitive-dissonance - are all causes and effects - so free will - even if it is an illusion, delusion, and/or etc. - has a cause and is effective.

Even in a deterministic view - calling free will an illusion does not negate it as a causal force. Therefore, it exists and interacts with…

Started by Howard S. Dunn

74 Jan 22, 2010
Reply by Howard S. Dunn

My view of "Free Will"

The mere though of it with change your perceptions of time, how you think, about time and you still never get to that certain point of nirv…

Started by Mike Liddy

29 Jan 8, 2010
Reply by LesYpersound

The Dunning–Kruger effect: Incompetence and the illusion of superiority

[This is a follow on from a blog post by Don Stevens and is also being discussed in NoNonsense] "The trouble with the world is that the st…

Started by Фелч Гроган

1 Jan 7, 2010
Reply by Freedom of Anonymity

And with extremism comes confusion. If fundies do dirt here, they do it abroad as well.

Maybe that rain (in the form of online intelligence) has finally come to clean up the mess which is why they're getting so viral these days…

Started by AgeOfAtheists14

0 Jan 4, 2010

Why does there need to be racist atheism?

i see there is "Black Freethought" as one of the groups listed on the main page. is there something different about black freethought as op…

Started by desirefirst

160 Jan 4, 2010
Reply by Jorge Quinones

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service