Atheist Nexus Logo

Philosophy (306)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this. I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling". But as a…

Started by Steph S.

818 yesterday
Reply by Michael Penn

Who created the creator?????

I had a conversation with a friend the other week. He’s not devoutly religious and to my annoyance he chooses to take parts of the ‘Good Bo…

Started by Scooter

44 Apr 23
Reply by Bertold Brautigan

Morality for Cows and Humans

I’ve almost finished The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris and like allot of SH’s other work it is thought-provoking and if this train of thoug…

Started by Mark Arellius

6 Apr 21
Reply by Mark Arellius

Epicurean Philosophy app in Java

NEW: Web version, see replies below for more information. This is still a work in progress, however I've recently created a philosophy-bas…

Started by Nonconformist

2 Apr 2
Reply by Nonconformist

Doctors' oaths, and who must doctors serve?

This topic came up on the LGBT forum, and I thought it was of more general interest.  It also came up on Hemant Mehta's Friendly Atheist fo…

Started by Daniel W

1 Feb 21
Reply by Dyslexic's DOG

Reading Anselm's Proslogion

Anselm’s argument seems to simply be “god exists because I say so.”  He engages in a lot of the definition of terms that Plato was fond of,…

Started by Jacob Dreiling

1 Feb 12
Reply by Dr. Allan H. Clark

My gravesite inscription

“I was not. I have been, I am not. I am so grateful to have participated in life!” A beloved cousin died yesterday and we, at a Johnson/Smi…

Started by Joan Denoo

95 Jan 28
Reply by Freethinker31

'Meaning' As An Emergent Property

The responses to the question “As An Atheist, Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?”, are quite varied.   Some say that the only ‘purpos…

Started by JP Carey

1 Jan 25
Reply by Hiram

"Everything Happens for a Reason" -- Bah! Humbug!

A Facebook posting showing a bright lining to a silver cloud -- roses, smiling lips, and the words, "Everything happens for a reason" print…

Started by James M. Martin

80 Jan 23
Reply by sk8eycat

Faith and Free Will or Blind Belief and Wishful Thinking?

There've been several posts on the site about free will, mostly asking if we "believe" in it or think it is an illusion. I've been divided…

Started by James M. Martin

15 Jan 12
Reply by Leon Gretsky

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service